Report Abuse

New Theatre Owners President Michael P. OLeary On Challenges Facing The Movies And Why He Remains Optimistic

Post a Comment
New Theatre Owners President Michael P. OLeary On Challenges Facing The Movies And Why He Remains Optimistic
© Available from Variety

Michael P. O'Leary must be a tough task to take on. He will replace John Fithian, president and CEO of the National Association of Theater Owners, who wielded great power as the exhibition industry's chief lobbyist for two decades.

And it comes at a difficult time for the film industry, which has been hit hard by the pandemic and has yet to fully recover. Attendance and ticket sales have not returned to pre-Covid levels and major theater chains, including Cineworld-owned Regal, have been forced to file for bankruptcy, with around 2,000 screens closed across the industry. On the business side, exhibitors are suffering from a lack of supplies.

Still, O'Leary, who previously worked for 21st Century Fox, the Motion Picture Association on Capitol Hill and the Justice Department, believes there is reason to be optimistic that multiplexes are not a relic of the past.

Already in the first month of 2023, Blumhouse's killer pop thriller "M3GAN", eight-part comedy "80 for Brady" and Michael B. Jordan's "Creed III" beat box office expectations "Super Mario Bros", "Fast X" and several Blockbusters including "Mission: Impossible 7" will be released in the coming months and generate huge revenues.

Perhaps most importantly, Hollywood is expected to increase production of new films compared to the past two years. Ideally, this will maintain a cinematic pace while giving audiences a reason to go to the theaters between big events.

Before Fithian officially took over in May, O'Leary spoke to Variety about his departure from the Entertainment Software Association, the video game industry's main trade body, and what he plans to do as his first priority. office. New positions in NATO.

How was the process of getting this job? Have you contacted NATO? Did NATO come to you?

It was a bit of both. NATO people asked me about it and I looked into it. I don't know who came first. Once I got into this process, the more I learned, the more interested I became.

Why did you want the job?

Frankly, he was happy with the job he left. A few things stood out to me. First, the theater experience is culturally important. This of course has an economic impact. Second, this is a product I believe in. I love the film industry. I was with the MPAA for several years. I learned a lot about different aspects of the industry. I was excited to work in that place again. The third part is that the entertainment landscape is fluid. There are some challenges when you come out of Covid. It is exciting to be a part of the next chapter in the theater industry.

Has outgoing NATO President John Fithian given you any advice?

In fact, I never spoke to John until I accepted the job. It has been incredibly helpful to me ever since. I have great respect for him. He has been doing this for some time. I follow in his footsteps. I'm not trying to replace it. We didn't get a chance to sit down with a beer and get some behind-the-scenes advice.

What will be your first job as president?

It is difficult for me to predict what my first top priority will be. I focus on three things: one is to absorb as much as I can, learn as much as I can, listen more than I talk. I know it sounds cliche, but it's the best way to keep your feet on the ground. I also talk to the members, understand what is important to them, how they want NATO to work. And then I meet the NATO team and learn about them as individuals and how they come together as a group.

What is the biggest obstacle in theater?

The biggest hurdle is making sure there is enough product to show more movies. People want to go back to the theater. In 2022, you saw huge numbers for various movies. I am excited to see what happens in 2023. I think you will see a positive trend there.

He has worked in government, lobbying and media. How did the experience prepare you for this job ?

At this point in my career, I have had many different experiences and I get something different from each one. It's about understanding the film industry in general, understanding how to solve difficult problems, understanding the value of relationships and working with people, trying to build and manage consensus. If you can master these topics, you can be successful in the private sector, the government or anywhere.

It has been a difficult three-year period for exhibitors. What are NATO members like? How is your balance?

I am not yet able to speak to your healthy sense of balance. One of the few conversations I have with exhibitors during the interview process is that there is optimism that people will return to the theater once it launches. Movies attract people and consumer experiences attract people The transition from a global pandemic is not without obstacles, but my overall feeling is optimism.

Cinemas are notoriously slow to innovate. Is there something they don't get enough credit for?

There are many members working hard to create a more pleasant customer experience. There are innovations in the theater space, such as more comfortable seats or different types of food. I recently went to see Mujeres que hablando and was able to enjoy a glass of wine and some popcorn. It was a wonderful experience.

Will it encourage streaming services to put more movies in theaters?

I would be a strong advocate for all creators to use their filmmaking experience as it is mutually beneficial in the long run.

What doesn't Hollywood know about the inner workings of DC?

Washington, a bit of a misunderstanding. If you're in a successful industry like theater, I believe in reaching out to your elected officials. You don't want to show up at their door in the middle of a crisis for the first time, hat in hand. This is not the path to success. Lots of noise in Washington. It is our responsibility to constantly remind legislators and decision makers that our industry has a positive economic impact and a positive cultural impact.

What about profitable entertainment establishments in Washington?

It is an art that brings joy and entertainment to people. We need to reinforce this narrative. When he was at the MPAA, Dan Glickman was president and he got close to Arlen Specter, then a senator from Pennsylvania, and they would talk at the beginning of almost every meeting about their experiences growing up and moving there. Movies. Going to the movies is something everyone can relate to and brings back positive memories. This is a positive aspect of representing this industry. Now we have difficult and difficult problems. But people like to talk about going to the movies when they start at the starting point of "we represent the theater here." Everyone has experience. So this is something we cannot ignore.

Before I go, I wanted to ask a few quick questions. What is your favorite movie?

"The Dark Knight".

Which movie have you seen the most?

"Money Ball".

Will the film be longer?

None of them.

Embarrassed to admit you've never seen a movie?

"Titanic".

The first movie to hit theaters?

"Rocky".

Favorite snack?

licorice root

For more stories like this follow us on MSN by clicking the button at the top of this page.

Click here to read the full article.

Kevin O'Leary hates this kid! ⏤ RO Podcast 122

Related Posts

Post a Comment