Report Abuse

Love, Regret, And Ballroom Dancing: Of An Age Actors And Director On Their Coming Of Age Movie

Post a Comment
Love, Regret, And Ballroom Dancing: Of An Age Actors And Director On Their Coming Of Age Movie

It is difficult to describe a realistic and romantic story for adults. That's what makes Goran Stolevski's new film Age of Era so special. Stolevski tells the story of a Serbian-Australian dancer who slowly drifts in and out with her partner's brother, teetering on the edge between sadness and melancholy, accepting the pain of first love and the regret of a love story that fades with time. time.

In an interview with Digital Trends, Stolevski and leads Tom Green and Elias Anton discuss the challenges of portraying the character in two different time periods, what drove them to make the film, and what audiences can take away from The Age when they see it that. do. . .. Look.

Note: This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Digital Trends: Your previous film You'll Never Be Alone was very different from the films of that era . Why did you decide to tell this story now?

Göran Stolevski: I mean, I didn't intentionally shoot one film and then another at this point. I'm always surprised when I get permission to shoot a film. It took a long time to do this.

To be honest, I don't know if anyone is interested in this story and it's very specific to how I grew up. I wrote this to connect with other people, but I'm not sure if it works. He trusted many people who read the text and were filled with tears. And they are very different from me. And then I said, "Well, it might work."

How long will the filming take?

Stolievsky: About three and a half weeks passed. We have a few days in between so that Tom and Elias can grow facial hair for the sequel, which takes place 11 years later.

Elias and Tom, what drew you to this film?

Elias Anton (Nikola/Cole): Well, when I first auditioned, I didn't get the full script. I was only given a few scenes that I was asked to shoot, so I had to fill in some gaps. After meeting Goran and Tom and reading the full script, I felt it was very moving and I wanted to be a part of it.

Tom Green (Adam): Yeah, besides the script, I was really interested in Goran's statement of intent, which describes the background of the film and why he wrote it.

Goran, why did you choose Elias and Tom for this role?

Stolievsky: It was a very difficult casting process, partly because everyone, including myself, assumed at the beginning of the script, as it is on the page, that we would have to cast different actors to play the character in two different periods time. For Cole in particular, I don't think it makes sense physically for someone to play someone who's 17 and then 28, you know, not just physically, but psychologically.

I have no character problems with Tom. He is the best actor I have met in this role. He had a certain look, a certain energy that allowed the audience and me to believe that he could play Adam at any age.

Elias didn't work at first because it was the complete opposite of how the character was written. Cole was supposed to be a short and skinny guy, and Elias was not. But more than anything I was looking for the right feel for the character and Elias has that.

Tom, your character, Adam, starts out as an instigator in the first half and then becomes more submissive in the second half. How do you approach the characterization and journey of your character in the film?

Green: I don't know if he became completely submissive. Without revealing too much, he didn't reveal some things from the beginning. So there must be a reason behind his indecision.

We did a lot of preparatory work with Goran for the 1999 part that we recorded first. We have a 3-4 day gap between the two periods, so both of our personality changes happen naturally. For me there are not many internal changes because in the first part of the film he has grown almost completely. He did not change like Elias, who underwent a remarkable transformation between the first and second half, which took place many years later.

Elias, for your character the transformation is almost the opposite of Tom; Cole was quiet and clumsy in the first half, but calmer and more confident in the second half. How do you do it?

Anton: Well, the younger Nicholas is more vulnerable because he is still mysterious and unsure of his identity. As an older Kol approaches, one must own more of what they have become and carry themselves in a certain way to show that they have grown up and are accepted for who they are.

Memorable moments in the film are the dance scene with Cole at the beginning of the film and during the wedding at the end of the film. Elias, how do you train for this?

Anton: I had a very good choreographer, Lorraine Drago, who worked with me for 30 hours of rehearsals. Dancing in the opening scene of the film was more difficult because I didn't have a partner to interact with; I just dance alone. I needed more to make this dance scene work than the other. [He laughs]

Of An Age - Official Trailer - February 17 only

What do you want viewers to take away from The Wind after watching it?

Green: I hope that everyone who watches this feels like they're watching themselves in some way, either trying to find their own identity or claiming it. And they think they are fighting for it or celebrating it. That's what I hope people take away from it.

Anton: Whoever you are, I think you've always been trying to figure out who you are and your place in the world growing up. I just hope that the audience can relate to the characters in this story and find a part of themselves in it.

The Era of the Era is currently playing in select theaters. It expands nationwide on February 17.

Editor's recommendation

First love I'm sorry. Excuse me. forget it.

Related Posts

Post a Comment