Report Abuse

August Winter On Elliot Page, Queer Visibility In ‘Women Talking, And Their TV Crush

Post a Comment
August Winter On Elliot Page, Queer Visibility In ‘Women Talking, And Their TV Crush
Image Credit: Getty Images © Queerty Image Credit: Getty Images

As of last week, the 2023 awards season is in full swing. After the animated Golden Globes, the Screen Actors Guild took part in the Hollywood get-togethers announcing the nominees for the 29th annual SAG Awards.

Among the nominees for Best Ensemble, SAG's most prestigious award, is Sarah Polley's beautiful and moving film Woman Talk, about a group of Mennonite women deciding whether or not to flee their strict religious colony. Along with award-winning talent such as Rooney Mara, Frances McDormand and Ben Whishaw, non-binary (they/they) actor August Winter makes a lasting impression as Melvin, the masked colony member.

With Talking Woman opening this month (in theaters now and January 27), winter promises to be his biggest year yet. They will soon be seen in the Amazon Freevee procedural comedy Pretty Hard Cases , and later this year they will appear in the highly anticipated sequel to Orphan Black 's sci-fi hit, Echoes .

We were so impressed with Winter's performance at Women Talking that we jumped at the chance to be Dishin' It's latest guest for our quick Q&A. In our interview, heroes like Elliott Page talked about how it helped them find their way, how Pride changed their lives and a love of television that they will never forget from childhood.

QUESTION: Is there any element of pop culture (movie, series, book, album, etc.) that you consider an important part of your future journey? Why is it so important for you?

WINTER: When I came out as a queer, Elliot Page helped me a lot and I really respect and thank him. Although I didn't know him personally, there was an echo every time I looked at his work; her look made me feel like it's okay to be who I am.

And then when I came out non-binary, I would say that a really big part of pop culture was May Martin's Feel Good show. May had such experience in exploring gender identity and articulating that I still find it hard to put into words in such a real and fun way.

RELATED: 5 Trans Men Who Will Crush Elliot Page

In Women Talk you are surrounded by an incredibly talented cast : Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Ben Whishaw and Frances McDormand. What do you think you learned from them on set? Are there any tips that really helped you?

Yes, they are all incredible artists! The first thing that comes to mind when I see them in action is their courage to completely and completely immerse themselves in what each character feels and expresses. There was a deep commitment to not only the story but to every actor in the room, which created an overall sense of community and support that can be quite rare in the industry.

What did it mean to you as a non-binary actor to play Melvin, a male-identifying Mennonite colonist, in Woman Who Talks? Why do you think their story is important to the theme of the film?

It was a very important and delicate role. Being able to play a transgender character is something that I find very touching in itself, because I get to express an important aspect of my experience. But Melvin's story had a different impact because he made the bold choice to live the way he did in an environment where that decision could have many consequences.

I think their story is interesting in terms of the theme of the movie because every single person on this lawn is trying to find a way forward. To me, Melvin's decision is an illustration of the decisions each person must make to find a new path in their lives, their beliefs, and their relationships with each other.

What was the first place/space that made you feel like you were part of the queer community?

I would say that the first time I went to Pride, it was a truly exhilarating experience. It was a different belonging than I felt before. I looked at this crowd, which I didn’t even know, but somehow I felt this deep feeling of family.

With a quick glance at your Instagram, it's safe to say that you're a travel and music lover. With that in mind, what's your playlist when you're on the go? What genres might fit or what overall vibe are you looking for? What songs should be included?

Great question! Music is very important to me and has this magical ability to touch creativity like nothing else. I also love road trips.

If I were to travel right now, you'd get the overall vibe of "acoustic surfer, moody poet and 90s dance tunes" haha. So definitely Joni Mitchell, maybe Keith Jarrett, Leon Bridges, Tom Odell, Novo Amor and, of course, a bit of Harry Styles.

Who was your favorite fictional character when you were young? Do you remember what you liked about them?

As a teenager, I liked Pussy Washington (played by Samira Wylie) in Orange Is the New Black. Looking back, I think it was this character's confidence that drew me to him; they had this presence and sense of humor that really appealed to me.

Your next project is the sequel to the successful sci-fi clone Orphan Black . If you were a clone, what would you ask yourself (like work, housework, or something you don't enjoy doing) and why?

Yes! I would definitely ask my clone to attend larger social gatherings of the "blending" type. I love people, but I'm afraid to speak.

What queer or transgender artists/performers/creators do you think are doing really cool stuff right now? Why should we all pay attention to them?

I think Bilal Baig (the brilliant actor and creative mind behind the TV show Sort Of ) is on my radar right now as an important storyteller in our industry. They have created space for different kinds of representation in an inclusive and interconnected way, no matter who you personally identify with. And of course Alok Waid-Menon. Everyone subscribe to Aloka's cool and informative Instagram if you haven't already!

Scroll down for more photos from Winter's Instagram page...

Related: Best Queer Movies of 2022: An overview of our favorite series, novels and more

A Quick Look at Jordan Peterson - EXTRA NEWS

Related Posts

Post a Comment